Saturday, March 24, 2012

1st Core Group Assembly

by: Leo John Siaotong

It was the day that we’ve been waiting for and a crucial step for our future projects: the first core group assembly. The morning air was filled with both nervousness and excitement intertwined maybe because of the implications of its outcome. Unexpectedly, my whole body halts me from doing something for a second but I composed myself again to do my task which was to cook the food for the assembly. It will take place at the chapel around one in the afternoon. I felt anxious because of two reasons: I haven’t cooked pansit without anyone’s supervision and I’m cooking for the people of Mirangan, which adds to my anxiety even more. Fortunately enough, my dear group mates were there to give me moral support in which they never fail to do and which I am appreciative of.

The clock was ticking so loudly- it deafens me for a moment, reminding me that the time of the assembly is almost near. We were all rushing around, making sure everything was ready, Upon arrival at the chapel, we were unexpectedly engulfed by an air of dread because no one was still around. Still, we patiently waited for them to arrive because we believe that these people won’t fail us, and after thirty minutes, boom! The people kept coming. They were the barangay officials, barangay health workers, purok leaders, parent leaders, teachers and the head of different organization. We asked them to be part of this assembly simply because we know that they’ll make a good impact in helping us in achieving our vision for our beloved Mirangan.

The clock was ticking so loudly- it deafens me for a moment, reminding me that the time of the assembly is almost near. We were all rushing around, making sure everything was ready, Upon arrival at the chapel, we were unexpectedly engulfed by an air of dread because no one was still around. Still, we patiently waited for them to arrive because we believe that these people won’t fail us, and after thirty minutes, boom! The people kept coming. They were the barangay officials, barangay health workers, purok leaders, parent leaders, teachers and the head of different organization. We asked them to be part of this assembly simply because we know that they’ll make a good impact in helping us in achieving our vision for our beloved Mirangan.
Our banner for the event. 
Presenting the data we gathered from the survey conducted last October 2011.
The program started and I must say, we were doing quite well. We started the program with a touching prayer shared by Jam. Afterwards, Ate Maj gave the opening remarks. Tingting’s hosting prowess gave a relaxed and inviting vibe. Kah Shern, Peter, Mon and myself presented the data based on the house to house survey done during our first exposure. We explained the respective implications of these data. The rest presented the group’s ranked problems and they asked the participants to rank the community’s top five problems with the use of the Maglaya method. The problems that they successfully identified were the following: malnutrition, family planning, toilet facility and others. My heart was filled with overflowing joy as I saw the people’s eagerness and excitement as they participated willingly to the activities we prepared for them, particularly our problem analysis portion which made use of problem and solution trees.



Working with the barangay leaders. 

Presentation of Problem tree regarding Proper Waste Disposal by OIC-Principal
of Mirangan Elementary School, Elvira Paniagua
In the end, we achieved our goal, that is to form a cooperative and participative core group. I felt relieved after the assembly. Our days of hard work and sleepless nights paid off. But the highlight of this is that we learned that we share the same goals and aspirations in making Mirangan, a mauswagong barangay. In a way, I can say that this event was a ground breaking one because our hearts beat as one, our eyes envision a goal, our hands prepared to do the work in order to achieve our dreams. BUT, before achieving these things we know that we will be facing trials, challenges and obstacles along the way. Still, it doesn’t faze me at all. I know we will be unstoppable because we have our secret weapon: friendship and camaraderie. Eventually we could win this battle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment