Saturday, October 1, 2011

First Impressions

by: Shernalynne Tahir

How could I forget the word COMMUNITY in our curriculum at the Ateneo de Zamboanga University-School of Medicine? At the beginning of it all, I thought it would be just like an adventure, being able to see new places and new faces or at the most, it would be a month-long medical mission to a community in need of health care services. However, on the day of our orientation, we were faced with a whole lot of responsibilities and tasks that made me realize that I had the wrong idea of what community-based medicine really is about. That was the day we came to realize that what we are about to take is such a big task not just for us as medical students or as being members of a group but most especially as a part of a whole system responsible for the community people who will be expecting services from us. It would have been easier if that was the only thing that we needed to do but what made it difficult was the thought that we needed to let them participate in our health programs. It was not about just helping them by giving them something out of our own pockets, nor having to implement the plans and decisions we make on our own, but the task was to find out how we were going to encourage them to participate in the overall planning and decision making, after all, they know what they really needed and wanted in their community. It is their home town and they should be the "boss". The medical students will just be there to guide them, showing them how to make it possible. But did you know that this was the biggest dilemma, especially for me? Since I for one do not know how to convince people. But I know I needed to face my fear. I needed to face it especially because we only had a few more days before our community immersion would start. Please don't get me wrong, I never said I was no longer excited after knowing all these things. I was still excited, at least now I know my role, my task, my duty. 



Our group's first meeting.
 From left: Shern Tahir (me), Neil Marcos, Maj Arriola, Moritz Soliven,
 Ting-Ting Paber, Jermae Rubares & Mon-Mon Mailig (not in photo: Peter Vitug & Leo Siaotong)



Accomplishing our first task as a group by doing problem and solution trees. 
 Second from left: Peter Vitug 
Photo by: Leo Siaotong (not in photo) 


First shopping spree at Jermae's favorite store, Novo.
The orientation day was over, the preparation followed. As I was preparing, I knew I had to decide on what things to bring and that I also had to compose myself. What do I need to bring? My favorite clothes, food, medicines and oops before I forget, my cosmetics. Whew! Do I really need to take all these with me? I was having a hard time prioritizing which things to bring with me and those that I should forget about. But then I thought: isn't it the reason we'll have this immersion in the first place, to know what their real life is? And so how would I know the real life in Mirangan if I would be taking all the comforts that I have in our house with me. Finally, I started to remove the rest of the things that I think is not that essential or basic for me.

As I finished packing, I thought everything was ready except for… Me. Again I thought about other things like: what if my group mates won't like me? How am I going to adjust to them, what am I going to do? To whom am I going to approach in times I'd be feeling bad. But then again, there was no turning back. How will I know if I won't let myself experience it? I needed, at least, to give it a try. Who knows, everything will turn out to be okay.

And again, I said to myself, this is it! We're almost there. After reaching our designated place, my heart started to beat so fast. It's because I got so amazed with the surrounding. I never expected that there was still some place like this in Mindanao. So green, you could even smell the trees and everything is nice with a little bit of challenge in terms of the safety of the road and supply of water.


"Trucking" our way to Mirangan. It was one bumpy ride! 

We were given a warm welcome by these lovely ladies.
From left, BNS Rhadiza Silao, Midwife Ruby Limbaga & BHW Evangeline Sulla
And lastly, I realized I was wrong about my apprehensions, after seeing our community Mirangan, meeting the people and most especially after knowing my group mates. I thought I was so lucky to be in this group. I didn't just find another HOME, but I also got a NEW family, my group mates, My BALDEMORTS family. I also got new MOM and DAD in the presence of our barangay captain and his loving wife. New Aunties and Uncles( kagawads, midwife,BHWs), Siblings in the presence of the teenagers out there, LOLOs and LOLAs, and nephews and nieces. In short, we found a new HOME and a new FAMILY. What else could I ask for?

My great thanks To Allah for giving me a chance to be part of this Journey...TO OUR DEAR MIRANGAN.....

No comments:

Post a Comment