Monday, October 3, 2011

Meet and Greet with the Barangay Officials

by: Farhana Paber

I can still vividly remember the very first day we took our first promising step in a paradise called Mirangan. My heart is still floating in waves, dancing to a melody in the mention of our second home. We were a bit guarded and yet ecstatic with hope clearly seen in our eyes.

As we went through our journey, we saw how people usually spent their day. I can never forget the excitement I felt the first time I laid my hands on the produce that they cultivated and considered their treasure. My teammates joined me in celebrating such a great feeling.

As our eyes feasted on the fresh green and brown scenery around us, we were welcomed by the leaders (headed by Brgy. Captain William Tanael) of this small community. I can still remember how they prepared their welcome salo-salo for us. Apprehensions and uneasiness were suddenly replaced with smiles and greetings and later on, with laughter. At that instant, I know that such spark shall emerge into a strong bond. I said to myself, "This is it...We belong."

Establishing a solid link between strangers requires a lot of processes, but with us, I'm proud to say, it was all natural. It was like complementing each other, black and white. Ebony and Ivory. In a span of one month, the acquaintances we’ve encountered solidified into friendship.

We are always invited to join the barangay council meetings, held every 2nd and last Monday of the month at 9 o’ clock in the morning. During the first and succeeding sessions, I observed that each of them possess unique leadership characteristics which are essential in serving Miranganians. Passion is indeed their driving force, Service is their vessel and Welfare is their goal. I felt ecstatic knowing that my group will be working with these people. I was hopeful that during the implementation of our programs, it would sail smoothly due to the willingness of these leaders to see change in their community. The agenda of the meeting included important issues that needed immediate attention. Some were directly related to health such as issues on maternal and child health. Some raised the matter of the barangay’s budget and project allocations. The interactions among the leaders were spontaneous and most provided points on the subject. Debates were frequent, which really allowed us to see how they come to terms with the issues at hand. For me, it was one of the things that would help us find common ground with the leaders and the members of the community. It dawned on me that we need this type of people. I admire their dedication to the community and the their innovative ideas. But the big issue here is the proper implementation of these ideas. I remember what our community preceptor had told us before we arrived in Mirangan. She advised that once we identified the problems, we need to dig deeper and identify the root causes of these problems. This is an essential step since the barangay is known for being passive when it comes to solving important issues especially on health.



Attending our first barangay council meeting.
Perhaps a missing puzzle is yet to be revealed. Mirangan is blessed to have these type of leaders. But what hinders them to progress? That's an important question we hope to answer with continuous interactions in the future.


As of now, I'm happy that I was placed in this family, and more blessed to share my skills and talents with the different leaders of this community, all for the service of our beloved Miranganians.


From Left:
Hon. Helen Dofeliz, Hon. Josephine Lumocso, Mr. Antonio Bangcong, Hon. Romulo Fuentes, Hon. Ariel Oroc, Brgy. Capt. William Tanael, Hon. Randy Mendio, Mrs. Elianita Castillo (Treasurer), Mrs. Rosamei Fresco (Secretary) Hon. Pablito Selga.






No comments:

Post a Comment